Typical NWON Prompts
A nonfiction without narrator (NWON) essay is like a nonfiction with narrator (NWN) essay, except that it has no narrator. In other words, part of a NWN essay is about you, but there is no such part in a NWON essay.
NWN: I like aye-aye lemurs.
NWON: Destruction of the rainforest in northeastern Madagascar is causing the aye-aye lemur population to rapidly decline.
Typical nonfiction without narrator essay prompts might be:
- What change has occurred recently in the economic base of your community?
- What role do sports play in your school?
- How does music influence the American marketplace?
- What leader most greatly influenced twentieth century America?
- What invention highly influenced life in the twentieth century?
- How has social media affected American life?
Determine which of the following are nonfiction without narrator prompts.
- Pick a book that has highly influenced you. Describe it. Explain why it influenced you.
- What historical event do you think had the greatest influence on American history?
- You have been chosen as a member of a team to ski across Antarctica. Describe one eventful day.
- What is your favorite pet? Why?
- Describe a situation in which you made an important decision.
- Describe the best one-day outing you ever had with a family member or a close friend.
- How has the computer influenced contemporary life?
- If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live? Why?
- One day after school you find a shopping cart that randomly sucks in items from store shelves to give to homeless people. Describe what actions you take.
- What holiday do you like best?